Irvine, California 92614-5440
+1 714 435 9443
SYSTEM AND NETWORK ADMINISTRATION
SOFTWARE PROJECT LEADERSHIP
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE
Extensive experience in development, utilization, and
management of software and software systems supporting large- and
small-scale operations in multiple industries.
Managed large networks of computers on a global scale.
Strong background in product development, system integration, functional
development, marketing, and customer interface.
Led teams developing customized software for top-ranked companies.
Devised operating standards and protocols.
An exemplary record of achievement working with state-of-the-art equipment
and technology, augmented by a related degree from the California Institute
Specific Areas of Expertise
- System and Network Administration
- Project Management
- Product Development & Enhancement
- Training & Development
- Feasibility Analyses
- Technical Marketing Support
- Customer Relations
- Testing & Inspection
- Computer hardware such as Intel IA64 (x86_64) and IA32 (x86), IBM pSeries and zSeries,
HP (DEC) VAX and Alpha, Motorola 68x series.
- Operating systems including Unix, Linux, SCO, AIX,
Cisco IOS, X Window System, MS-DOS, MS Windows, VAX/VMS, 390 MVS.
- Networking with IEEE 802.11, TCP/IP, SNMP, SMTP, SNA, Banyan, Novell,
frame relay, X.25, ISDN.
- Languages including Perl, shells, C, Java, COBOL, Basic,
HTML, SGML, assemblers.
SENIOR STAFF, 2006-2019,
Thales In-Flight Systems, Irvine
Initially asked to take a team management position with this
leader in the in-flight entertainment (IFE) industry.
- Lead the twelve-engineer operating systems and device driver group through
development for two generations of new hardware systems.
- Initiated collaborative development procedures, including installation
of a wiki, to insure that progress was visible to all stakeholders.
- Instrumental in creating a rational organization and clear documentation
for the software needed by ten new devices so that development of higher
software components could proceed quickly and correctly.
- After getting that group under control, and with a reduction in the size
of the group during a corporate transition to a period of less new development,
converted to a senior staff position in the software integration and
- Initiated the networking of all test and development systems (each of
which represents all the equipment installed on a single aircraft, in some
cases nearly a thousand computers), which were previously operated stand-alone,
for more efficient use and standardization of techniques.
- Developed procedures to quickly and automatically access the results of
a test and publish the results via an internal web site.
- Created procedures to automatically update and publish a data base of details
about all of the networked laboratory equipment, a data base which became the basis
of many other internally developed tools.
- Extended the laboratory management systems I developed to include systems at
the newly acquired subsidiary company in Florida and to systems at company and customer
locations in a half-dozen foreign countries.
- Acted as liasion between the Engineering Department and the corporate IT groups
to better coordinate internetwork access and standardized procedures.
IMS Consultants, Anaheim
Joined this team of senior technical consultants providing strategic and
project services, largely for the in-flight entertainment industry.
- Analyzed the performance characteristics of an embedded Linux system,
helping a client determine possible techniques for improvement.
- Assisted a client with test design for a major upgrade to their
IFE product line.
Analyzed interactions between multiple line replaceable units running a
variety of operating systems and application software.
- Performed debugging of content management systems for two IFE products,
seeking both performance improvement and error-free operation.
- Analyzed and designed portions of software for the JTRS
software-defined military radio system.
- Modified an in-house developed product sold to the IFE industry so that
it would better operate in a wireless environment.
CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICER, 2002-2003,
Black Hole Wireless, Santa Ana
Recruited to provide technical expertise and management for this
start-up Internet service provider.
- Designed a multi-layer wireless delivery system targeting areas not
able to obtain other forms of broadband Internet delivery.
Responsible for network security, customer accounting, service features,
and up-stream connection.
- Contributed to the company's business plan and advised on marketing.
CONSULTANT, 2001-2002, Dreamworks SKG, Glendale
Asked to help this leading entertainment company
with issues involved in their conversion from SGI IRIX to Red Hat Linux
for all production operations.
- Principal engineer involved in porting all scanner interfaces from
IRIX to Linux.
The company uses a variety of scanners with unusually high accuracy that
are not generally supported by readily available software.
This project involves conversion of device drivers and adapting applications
to the SANE interface.
Described SANE use to the Unix Users Assocation.
- Managing engineer on project to replace older ink-jet plotters with a
current product meeting the company's accuracy requirements.
Coordinating activities of engineers, production staff, and vendors.
MANAGER OF TECHNICAL SERVICES, 2001,
Recruited by this growing managed services provider to augment
the company management.
- Organized a staff of three project managers responsible for
all aspects of implementing new clients and
on-going business issues with new and continuing clients.
- Managed three implementation engineers responsible
for set-up and installation of new clients.
Developed standard procedures and deliverables to streamline the process.
- Took leadership role toward collecting and organizing all client
information into a single data base.
NETWORK MANAGER, 1998-2000, Quik Internet, Costa Mesa
Joined small but rapidly growing Internet Service Provider as second
member of the technical staff.
- Involved in all technical aspects of the business, including server
management and technical support.
- Ultimately became primarily responsible for the international network
connecting Quik's servers with points of presence in fifteen countries
and more than 200 locations.
Network was primarily PRI lines for customer access
connected to server locations with frame-relay circuits.
- Responsibility included network and site planning,
equipment choice and configuration,
domestic and international telco relationships,
circuit ordering and monitoring.
Developed extensive software tools to assist with these processes.
PROJECT MANAGER, 1997-1998, PSW Technologies, Austin
Joined this custom software development company now known as Concero.
- Managed the Object21 project for Canon Computer Systems, nearly thirty
applications written in Objective C for the NeXT system, performing core
business functions such as purchasing, sales, and inventory management,
now being migrated to the OpenStep environment on Windows NT.
Fourteen engineers in California and Texas.
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER, AVP, 1992-1997,
American Savings Bank, Irvine
Recruited by the Senior Vice President, Retail Banking Operations,
of major California savings bank to help the Retail Banking Division
obtain the most value from its technology investment.
- Installation of platform automation system with Windows for Workgroups
networking and 3270 host connectivity in 159 branches.
Developed procedures for remote maintenance using techniques common in
Converted network to Frame Relay and ISDN.
Began conversion to Windows NT networking.
- Developed the bank's Web pages in HTML.
Connected the bank's internal Banyan VINES network to the Internet for
e-mail and Web access.
Assisted bank efforts to standardize on-line documentation using SGML.
- Coordinated five LAN administrators for all computing resources in the
Retail division, head office and branches, primarily Windows and OS2 PCs.
Worked with four back-office departments to upgrade and standardize
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, 1990-1991,
Shared Financial Systems, Dallas
Recruited by Executive Vice President of privately-held financial
transaction processing software company to introduce and develop new
technology and supporting software to support new hardware.
- Brought Unix equipment into company to support conversion of financial
transaction software from a proprietary minicomputer.
Adapted COBOL programs to the Unix environment.
Used Sybase database and UniFace front-end to replace proprietary
facilities while converting many of the specialized tools into shell
and Perl scripts.
- Managed system administration and program tools group.
Managed company's IBM RISC System/6000 computers running AIX and a
substantial network of personal computers and X terminals used as
- Made major contribution to the reduction of customization
Developed unique source code and deliverable program control and tracking
Established capability to test and improve systems prior to production.
TECHNICAL ADVISOR/DIRECTOR, NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT,
1987-1990, Compata, Arlington (Texas)
Launched new spin-off business providing specialized software
development and technical project management for large and small
- Managed major joint venture project with Spectradyne, American
Express, and Marriott Hotels.
Coordinated work of two team leaders and ten software engineers to produce
electronic funds transfer product for Spectradyne's hotel movie system
based on Motorola 680x0 hardware and a custom operating system.
Used C, PL/1, and assembler languages.
- Enhanced vertical market software package for small businesses
running on SCO Xenix and written in C and COBOL.
- Developed model host software in C for customers of Light Signature's
stock certificate security equipment.
- Designed radio broadcast data distribution system for Spectradyne
and American Airlines.
MANAGER, MICROPROCESSOR ENGINEERING, 1984-1987,
Printronix, Inc. (Anadex Division), Camarillo
Hired by leading maker of OEM computer equipment to design
microprocessor circuits and programs/firmware.
- Managed engineers responsible for circuit design and firmware
development for serial dot-matrix printers using cross software
development and computer-aided mechanical design.
Utilized C language, hardware simulation, and down-loaded in-circuit
emulators for Motorola 68xx processors.
Supervised engineering department VAX computer.
DIRECTOR OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, 1983-1984,
AXXA Corporation, Woodland Hills
Joined senior management team involved with building management
workstations and multi-user microcomputer systems.
- Managed enhancements for the Axxa 911, a shared office workstation
originally designed for Citibank and based on Intel 8085 processors.
Reporting directly to the President, supervised nine software engineers,
two technical writers, and two computer operators.
Managed VAX/VMS computer systems used for both software development and
- Developed Nice Touch personal communication terminal, a
telephone/terminal with touch-sensitive plasma screen based on Motorola
68000 and VRTX real-time operating system.
PROJECT LEADER; FACILITY MANAGER; MEMBER, TECHNICAL STAFF,
1975-1983, Compata, Inc., later a division of Wavetek, Inc. and
Recognition Equipment Inc., Woodland Hills
Hired by custom software development company operating under contract
to hardware manufacturers and end users.
- Developed Tartan Terminal System, involving unlimited number of Z80
microprocessors with associated memory and peripheral devices connected
in unique architecture.
Led feasibility studies and designed the custom operating system.
Negotiated right to adapt languages and other tools from Microsoft and
Assisted selling this principal product, and the company, to Recognition
- Served as in-house consultant on IBM operating systems and CICS for
bank card software development for VISA USA, Inc.
Completed studies for Fujitsu dealing with software compatibility.
Prior experience gained as Member, Technical Staff
with Hughes Aircraft Company and Unicorn Systems Company,
and Data Systems Officer (1LT), US Army.
BS, California Institute of Technology, Economics/Mathematics.
EXCELLENT REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
Recipient, IEEE Third Millennium Medal.
Fellow, Institute for the Advancement of Engineering,
Member, IEEE Computer Society, USENIX, SAGE, and ACM.
Leader, Unix Users Association of Southern California, ten years
This message has been scanned by CanIt-PRO.